Monday, March 21, 2011

Maternal Love is Fierce. I get that now.

So the disaster in Japan has hit me in a way that no other natural disaster has.  Because now, there is a baby involved.  I have spent the last week planning escape routes, filling up our emergency backpacks and generally making myself crazy.  I have had thoughts of strapping the little bundle in the ergo carrier and climbing to the top of the roof to avoid a tsunami.  Not that this would necessarily work, but...it might!

I guess what I am realizing is that this is the fierceness with which a mother loves her child.  I have been glued to the news, the radio and the internet.  I have been monitoring the radiation levels in California on two different websites.  I have been asking questions and talking to anyone who will listen.  I am not satisfied with the mainstream news, or the platitudes coming from our government.  I want the real information.  I want to know when and if I should book a flight to Vermont.

I want only to protect my child.  My baby.  My lifeline.  The thought of something hurting Clayton makes me sick inside. 

At the end of the day, I am blessed because I have the luxury of thinking about what I would do if disaster occurred.  The poor people in Japan did not have this luxury.  I am so thankful for the health of my child, as my heart breaks for mothers across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment